Each day a kind deed.

Thought of the Week - Each day a kind deed.
TWEET this!

May 13, 2015

My Choice on Vogue India video

Exmotions Xpressed_My choice on Vogue India video

I know its quite out of time to post this article now. I had shared these views on facebook earlier but was lazy to write on blog. But here it goes finally.

Somehow, I do not entirely agree with the Vogue India My Choice video.

What exactly is the message?

Is it that if a female-
has sex outside marriage or before or no sex;
has lust lifelong and loves her partner temporarily;
does not have "his" baby("your baby" -really? I thought babies belonged to both father and mother);
is size zero or fifty (Right! the pot bellied guy always gets the girl and the chiselled body guy is bullied in Bollywood movies, I guess);
and many such other things, its HER choice. Fine, I agree with this choice.

But the fact that really bothers me is the hypocrisy which exists in the real society. If we intend to propagate the female choice in such matters then why do most females get outraged if their male partners choose to do the same? If we are trying to reach a balanced society and dealing with who should make the choice, then shouldn't it be CHOICE of an individual and not a gender's ?

I would not suggest to shun the video because a healthy discussion is necessary for any change we intend to bring in society. I personally disagree with certain views of the video. Particularly few lines that try to belittle men to raise women on the pedestal or where certain actions if conducted by a man in real world would be condemned by most, if not all women. Most importantly, I do not agree to the discrepancy between the video and real world notion. 


And to not agree to these points of the video I have a very strong reason. The men in my life, my father, brother and my husband, in particular give me that reason. I know there are many men like them in our Indian society and it is fortunate to have these men. So isn't it our responsibility that when we females fight for our cause, we take enough care not to insult the emotions of these men who stand by us against the traditional norm ? That we do away with generalization of facts ?

Women Empowerment is definitely necessary in our society but probably not at the cost of demeaning all men. Because if women feel, it is "they" who choose men from 7 billion (like portrayed in the video) and its not choosing each other mutually, no sooner than now we will be making videos on men empowerment.

I understand the main intention behind the video was to pass on the message to women in Indian society to use their right to freedom. But may be the makers overdid it. Somewhere in the process of elevating the genuine women, we might be making the genuine men feel inferior. We might as well be cornering the men who support us. Exactly the same that has been done to women since ages. I would rather prefer a balanced society inclusive of all rather than a pseudo women-empowered society.

I confess, previously I might have written "female-chauvinist" lines thinking its "female-empowerment".But views change as you read more varied experiences from both sides. And so did mine.

Image Credits : Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments help me improve.

You may also like to read